Definition:Spanish Pronouns do not need to be expressed since the verb itself will identify the subject. A pronoun is only needed when referring to a third person (singular or plural) for proper identification purposes since it can be a “she”, a “he” or even a formal second person in singular form. In the plural form, the verb ending could be referring to a “they” (masculine or feminine) or to “ustedes“, a form of the second plural person used by many countries where Spanish is the official language or one of these languages, except in Spain, where ” vosotros” is preferred.
Pronouns in Spanish
Types of pronouns:
Subject PronounsDirect Object PronounsIndirect Objects Pronouns
Subject Pronouns: You can say who is speaking or whom somebody is speaking about by the form of the conjugated verb in Spanish language. This is different of English language where most all the forms of most verbs are the same: I eat, you eat, we eat, they eat, etc. so we have to use the subject pronouns all of the time in English language. However, since each form is unique and reveals the subject in Spanish language, we don’t have to use the subject pronouns; it’s very similar to Portuguese Grammar. You may use a subject pronoun or even a name so it is clear whom you are speaking about.
|Subject Pronoun||Pronombre Personal|
|You (plural/familiar)||Vosotros/Vosotras (men/ women)|
|You (plural/formal)||Ustedes (men or women)|
|They (men and/or women)||Ellos/Ellas(men /women)|
Note: Don’t confuse Pronouns with articles, because they are very similar, but articles modify nouns and pronouns don’t. Pronouns also have orthographic accent rules.
- I am very happy to meet you.
- Yo estoy muy feliz de conocerte.
- You are taller than me.
- Tú eres más alto que yo.
- He traveled to Rome.
- Él viajo a Roma.
- She listens to rock music.
- Ella escucha música rock.
- We often swim.
- Nosotros nadamos frecuentemente.
- We like to go shopping.
- Nosotras gustamos de ir de compras.
- You enjoy watching scary movies.
- Ustedes disfrutan ver películas de terror.
- You will go to Washington the next month.
- Vosotros irán a Washington el próximo mes.
- They play football very well.
- Ellos juegan fútbol muy bien.
- They cook delicious Spain food.
- Ellas cocinan deliciosa comida Española.
|Subject Pronouns in Spanish Videos|