SPANISH COMPOUND VERBS
Definition:Spanish compound verbs are formed for two parts one auxiliary verb and one principal verb, the auxiliary verbs always are before the principal verb also you can put two auxiliary verbs before the principal or main verb.
Compound Verbs in Spanish
AUXILAR VERB + PRINCIPAL VERB = COMPOUND VERB
2 AUXILAR VERB + PRINCIPAL VERB = COMPOUND VERB
In the phrase: I amplaying the guitar. = Estoy tocando la guitarra.
Here the word “am” is the auxiliary verb and the word playing is the principal verb
and the two verbs together form the compound verb.
I am playing the guitar.= Estoy tocando la guitarra.
Examples in Spanish:
- Alfredo is studying for his exam. = Alfredo está estudiando para su examen.
- We are playing soccer. = Estamos jugando futbol.
- They are working in the park. = Están trabajando en el parque.
- She is cooking dinner. = Ella está cocinando la cena.
In Spanish language has other equivalent with English language for formed the compound verbs, not only used the verb to be also modal verb (to have) and the perfect participle.
- I have played soccer for ten years.
- He jugado al fútbol durante diez años.
- I had paid the TV before you came.
- Yo había pagado el televisor antes de que hayas venido.
- Before we arrive, she will have cooked the dinner.
- Antes de que lleguemos, ella habrá preparado la cena.
- I would have played yesterday if I had not been sick.
- Yo habría jugado ayer si no hubiera estado enfermo.
Note: The compound verbs based on the irregular verbs inherit the same irregularities.
- yo aboliré
- yo antepondré
Spanish Irregular Verbs:
|Acentuar||to emphasize, to stress|
|Acoger||to receive, to welcome|
|Afligir||to distress, to afflict|
|Agorar||to predict misfortune|
|Aislar||to isolate, to insulate|
If you are seeking other interesting language, you would learn Portuguese language and Portuguese verbs in special.